Safe Operator, Safe Plant, Safe Environment
Plant in Australian workplaces includes machinery, equipment, appliances, containers, implements and tools and any components or anything fitted or connected to those things. This includes lifts, cranes, computers, machinery, conveyors, forklifts, vehicles, power tools, quad bikes, mobile plant and amusement devices. (Safe Work Australia [SWA], 2018)
What are the risks?
- Plant is a major cause of work-related death and injury in Australian workplaces (SWA, 2018). Severe injuries have been caused from unsafe use of plant including:
- limbs amputated by unguarded moving parts of machines;
- being crushed by mobile plant;
- sustaining fractures from falls while accessing, operating or maintaining plant;
- being crushed by plant rolling over;
- electric shock from plant that is not adequately protected or isolated; and,
- burns or scalds due to contact with hot surfaces, or exposure to flames or hot fluids;
- hearing loss due to noisy plant;
- musculoskeletal disorders from manual handling or poorly designed plant.
- Worn or damaged mechanical components;
- background noise causing problems with communication;
- lighting and visibility; and,
- multiple plant operating in the same area/runway.
- Plant moving in and around the workplace,
- Reversing plant,
- Loading and unloading with plant;
- Pedestrians working close to plant.
- Structural Failure (including attachments);
- Plant/structure/attachments collapse;
- Contact with/between plant/structure/ attachments;
- Collision with other plant or structure.
- Complacency (forgetting the risks)
- Competency (inexperience or inability to operate plant safely)
- Pre-inspection (not completed or faults not identified/reported)
Load Lifting or Suspension:
- Plant used must be specifically designed to lift or suspend the load being lifted or suspended;
- Lifting attachments must be suitable and load-rated for the load being lifted or suspended, and − within the safe working limits of the plant;
- Loads must not be suspended or travel over/above a person;
- loads must remain under control throughout the activity;
- Loads must not be lifted simultaneously by more than one item of plant.
- Inspections must be conducted on all items of plant prior to use;
- Inspections must comply with manufacturer’s instructions and the plant’s intended use/activity;
- Service and maintenance history must be reviewed as part of the inspection;
- Ensure the plant is suitable for the proposed activities;
- Assess the plant location and layout of the workplace to ensure safe access and egress to and from the plant.
- Separate plant from other plant and pedestrians with isolation, barriers, exclusion zones and/or delineation;
- Adhere to all workplace/site traffic management controls;
- Ensure a reliable means of communication is in place plant/person;
- Avoid plant-on-plant interactions;
- Report any hazards, risks or concerns.
- Super Investment Options
Super Investment Options
Compare your risk and return by selecting an investment option below.
Growth (CBUS MySuper)
CBUS’s default option is designed to suit most individuals, including those who accepts years with negative returns, but expect returns above inflation over the long term.
Suitable for those who want to avoid negative returns, understanding that returns are expected to be less than other CBUS super investment options over the long term.
Suitable for those who can accept lower returns on the basis that negative returns are rare.
Suitable for individuals who can accept some years when returns are negative but who expect that over the long term, returns will be above inflation.
Suitable for individuals seeking the highest returns over the long term and can accept more years of negative returns.
CBUS Self Managed
Suitable for eligible members who are comfortable taking an active role in managing their super savings.
– Labourer Recyclables - NSW
Ignacio has shown commitment, dedication and reliability in all of his assignments with FT Workforce’s NSW team over the year.
Thank you Ignacio, we are proud to have you in our team!
Answer the following question for your chance to win a Coles/Myer Voucher! Text your answer to 0429 306 540 with your full name and State to be in the running to win.
What is one of the risks associated with plant operation?
WA Recruitment..........1300 083 599
NSW Recruitment.......0488 300 686
QLD Recruitment .......0438 799 436
NW Recruitment.........0488 331 515
SA Recruitment..........1300 083 599
VIC Recruitment.........0438 686 613
VIC Recruitment 0438 686 613